Sorry it’s taken me a bit to get to my impressions of X-Factor and it’s two premier audition episodes here in the US. Forgive my comparisons by the way, you can’t help but to compare the show with many of it’s other competition/counterpart shows.
What I Disliked
1. The first two episodes as a whole just seemed real heavy and I just wasn’t having fun with it. I think it was because the show has drowned itself in importance. The way it’s been marketed, edited, setup, it all reeks of a self-importance that hasn’t really been earned here in the states. I found myself forcing my way through all the hype and heavily exaggerated scenarios and separate myself in that mess to try and enjoy the auditions. I don’t think it was doing the auditioners any service.
2. For four hours of auditions, there was only a small amount of that time actually spent on talent. Much of it was spent on the mandatory horrible folks, and then there were a few good talent finds with whom we spent an eternity it seemed. At least SYTYCD and Idol rectify this by giving us clips of the others we didn’t see getting their tickets (or at least a portion of them), letting us know that there were quite a few other hopefuls we may get to meet. I hated that all that time was spent on folks I’d rather forget than using it on folks I’d want to remember. Heck, the Voice elminated the bad audition altogether (though I disliked the pre-chosen, less random feel to the contestants compared to others). I can’t have everything though…maybe just spend less time on bad auditions please, it hurts my heart.
3. This is my own personal preference, but on Idol and the Voice I supported the folks who I felt like I would buy music from. There wasn’t really a lot of diversity of styles presented to us in these auditions and truthfully (although talented) I’m not too sure I’m interested in most of the “good” auditioners . I’ll have to wait and see and hope there’s more diversity in the auditions going forward to at least give me incentive to watch.
What I Liked
1. Well, there really wasn’t a whole lot I liked about it to be honest. I like L.A. Reid, he quite impressed me as his own entity and I do admit I like having Simon back on as well. I’m hoping for more this upcoming week.
2. It’s kind of nice having the folks audition with a track playing, and a number of the auditioners showed a good use of stage and performance-style right off the bat with this change in the process.
I’ll leave you though with the only audition from someone that I might support if he were to go and become a finalist. Weird choice for a song but he has a sound I’m interested in.
I was over it after the guy who dreams of being Prince. It’s just been sitting on my DVR hoping to one day be acknowledged. To think I chose to record this over Modern Family.
The Amazing Race started tonight. I’m sooooo excited!!!
OMG I remember him! What in the heck did they see in him to put him through? He was horrible and delusional. Oh well, I guess they’re trying so hard not to be Idol, they’ll put people through that had no chance there.
I watched the amazing race last might, great first episode! Seems like a fun cast too, love seeing Ethan and Jenna too!
yes.. i also tot that the X FACTOR totally focused too much on the HORRID singers…
in the premier episode i tot the black gal who sang the mariah song “emotions” ..who went and did the whole dolphin scream (which sounded more like a dying girraffe)..was actually funny and entertaining.. but then it was hard to believe that this girl was actually for real for real?? c’mon
it just went downhill from there….
i also think that nick voss guy… if he would have auditioned on IDOL.. with that song choice…no way in hell he would have gone to hollywood…
im still on the fence about this show… maybe i’ll close my eyes..(or ears) during the audition rounds… but hope it gets hot during the live shows..where mariah or rihana will be a guest judge/mentor…
but i’ve noticed that on THE VOICE…all the judges have only good things to say about the contestants…which can be a bore in the long run…
i have faith in simon… im sure there will be another “leona lewis” found sooner or later…
my my… since when did i become a reality show critic??? (giggle giggle)
totally agree. On Idol nick would not have made it through on that song choice, so i’m definitely getting that they’re looking for mold-ability in the auditions…but i sure hope that we see something mind-blowing soon. Maybe I’ll just hide my eyes right alongside and hum to myself until the live shows as well. lol